Monday, February 12, 2007

Small project to kill some time

While waiting for a few items for the re-pack, I was watching the auction on eBay for the Wico Atari joystick adapter. I remember that the other Bob has the schematic for one on his website. Since I do not have the etch tank or other equipment for etching my own boards, I took a different approach; stripboard. Here's a pic of my layout:




Quick parts list:

74HC4066 - $0.31 ea Jameco #74HC4066
10Kohm resistor - $0.69 Jameco #108126
47kohm resister - $06.9 Jameco #108206
Stripboard - Large $1.95 http://www.futurlec.com/ProtoBoards.shtml
6 pin circular DIN plug, inline, $1.26 Digikey - CP-1060-ND
Wire suitable for use as jumpers

I've included most items except the DB-9 connectors. A 14 pin IC socket for each 4066 would be advisable but not necessary. This construction would make two complete adapters.

2 comments:

Captain Computer said...

I might have to try this one. :) I was eyeballing that auction as well, but I'm determined to do-it-muhself. Well, maybe... Cool design!

Angel's Luck,
Capt.

PS Okay, so I won't actually get to build this for awhile, but I went ahead and ordered the parts because I'm... um... a doofus.

Brian said...

Go for it. Just remember, that the traces are all on the underside of the stripboard, and you need to take an 1/8-3/16" drill bit to break the traces under the IC's. jameco actually had the male DB-9 parts, I think @ $1.59 ea. I think the whole board ass'y could be built for under $15.